Clinic on Meaningful Modeling of Epidemiological Data
This 2‐week modeling clinic will emphasize the use of data in understanding infectious disease dynamics. The Clinic will bring together graduate students, postdoctoral scholars, and researchers from North America and Africa, with the goal of engaging participants in epidemiological modeling projects that use real data to grapple with practical questions in a meaningful way.
This clinic targets quantitative scientists, including mathematicians, statisticians, computer scientists, and infectious disease epidemiologists with strong quantitative backgrounds. Applicants should be junior researchers based at institutions in the US, Canada, or Africa. Participants will engage with meaningful questions about infectious disease dynamics by integrating mathematical models with epidemiological data.
Selection of participants will be on the basis of the applicant’s academic background, the unique perspectives that they will bring to the Clinic, and the degree to which the selection committee expects the applicant will benefit from attending the Clinic. We expect to have up to eight places for applicants from US-based institutions; the number of students from African institutions is yet to be determined.
The general daily structure will be as follows:
- 8:30-10:00 Lecture/discussion and/or tutorial
- 10:00-10:30 Coffee break
- 10:30-12:30 Lecture/discussion and/or tutorial
- 12:30-14:00 Lunch break (Lunch is served from 12:30 to 13:00.)
- 14:00-15:30 Lecture/discussion and/or tutorial
- 15:30-16:00 Tea break
- 16:00-17:00 Lecture/discussion and/or tutorial
- 17:00-18:00 Poster session or mentored working session
- 18:00-19:00 Dinner break (Dinner is served from 18:00 to 18:30.)
- 19:00-20:00 Faculty research talk, computer session, or social activity
We will start earlier on the first day, and end early on Saturday of the first week. The Clinic will officially end by 5pm on Friday of the second week. There will be an optional field trip on Saturday of the second week for participants who wish to attend. The preliminary schedule for MMED 2016 is not yet available.
Schedules from previous years: