This clinic targets quantitative scientists, including mathematicians, statisticians, computer scientists, and infectious disease epidemiologists with strong quantitative backgrounds. Applicants should be junior / early career researchers and can be based at institutions anywhere in the world. Participants will engage with meaningful questions about infectious disease dynamics by integrating mathematical models with epidemiological data.
Selection of participants will be on the basis of the applicant’s academic background, the unique perspectives that they will bring to the Clinic, and the degree to which the selection committee expects the applicant will benefit from attending the Clinic. We expect to have up to eight places for applicants based outside Africa and up to ten places for applicants from African institutions.
The course registration fee is ZAR 40,000. The registration fee includes room and board for the duration of the Clinic, as well as all course materials and activities. A small number of full and partial scholarships are available. Participants are responsible for covering their own travel expenses (including visa fees, where applicable). Instructions for paying the course fee will be made available to successful applicants.
The general daily structure will be as follows:
- 8:30-10:00 Lecture/discussion and/or tutorial
- 10:00-10:30 Coffee break
- 10:30-12:30 Lecture/discussion and/or tutorial
- 12:30-14:00 Lunch break (Lunch is served from 12:30 to 13:00.)
- 14:00-15:30 Lecture/discussion and/or tutorial
- 15:30-16:00 Tea break
- 16:00-17:00 Lecture/discussion and/or tutorial
- 17:00-18:00 Poster session or mentored working session
- 18:00-19:00 Dinner break (Dinner is served from 18:00 to 18:30.)
- 19:00-20:00 Faculty research talk, computer session, or social activity
We will start earlier on the first day, and end early on Saturday of the first week. The Clinic will officially end by 5pm on Friday of the second week. There will be an optional field trip on Saturday of the second week for participants who wish to attend. The preliminary schedule for MMED 2019 will be available approximately one month before the Clinic.
Schedules from previous years: